Friday, February 18, 2011

Looking for the glory that is not too far away

Some moments come but come rarely.Years ago, in 1983, we witnessed one such moment when a young and audacious but defiant Kapil’s squad broke the myth that Indians can’t be the world champions in cricket. I was too young (infant) to witness that glorious moment but I can still imagine the pride that we Indians would have felt, when the great Kapil Dev lifted the cup at the historical Lords ground. I have heard many times about that moment from my uncle, Equebal, who had to travel 23 kilometres from his hostel to watch the final at a friend’s place.

We were very close to repeating history in 2003, under the belligerent leadership of one of Indian cricket's greatest captains, Saurav dada. Though, destiny had some other plans, our dreams were swept away by the wrath of Hurricane Ponting...

We have waited enough; our quiescent dream has graduated into an intense yearning, an unquenchable thirst that can only be quenched with the victory.

Oh my men in blue, please let us experience the same thrill and joy that we all felt in 1983. That one moment changed the course of our sporting history and brought about a renaissance in the Indian sporting arena.

Let’s make an excursion to the past to bring back our lost glory. I extend my best wishes to the God of Cricket, Sachin, who actually doesn’t need my blessings. I have firm faith in my sagacious and calculating captain cool, Dhoni.

Oh my team India, I am rooting for you, and praying for you, day and night. I am sure you will win, because you deserve it more than any one else. Give us that moment of victory when I can proudly sing my national anthem while you clinch the trophy.

All the Best My Team!

8 comments:

  1. Nice post Khaja! I've got my fingers crossed for the Indian team and I wish and pray that they win. Although I hate to play the devil's advocate here but I fear that if we win...it may just push other sports like Tennis, Football, Boxing and more recently Badminton, that had only recently enjoyed some spotlight, into further oblivion. I want India to do well, no doubt about it, but I want that like China we should excel is not only one sport but many. I want to see India on the top of the medal's tally at an Olympics in maybe 20 years time...will that ever happen in this cricket crazy country??..I can only hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the fact that we are a cricket crazy country and it no where stops India to be a Tennis crazy, Soccer crazy country and so on...we can be equally crazy for all other sports and become the best sporting nation in the world...and then, I would write preamble of our Sport Constitution, "We Indians hereby declare ourselves the craziest of all nations in the world of sports."

    ReplyDelete
  4. let the temperature soar & keep our finger crossed. but yes we have got fairly decent chance this time. so all the best to the whole nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your comments folks! luv n hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. good one Khaja! Very well written

    ReplyDelete